November is Orphan Sunday Month
What is Orphan Sunday?
Orphan Sunday is an event that began a decade ago that can be held on any Sunday in November. The goal is to bring to the attention of Christians and churches the plight of the modern day orphan.
At A Door of Hope our focus is on meeting the needs of thousands of children every year that are displaced from their homes in Tampa Bay due to abuse, abandonment, and neglect. We do this in partnership with the church by providing safe, loving foster care through Christian families.
What Does the Bible Say about Orphans?
Orphan Sunday is a way to renew and remind us of the importance that scripture puts on caring for orphans. Over 40 times in the Old Testament God calls on his people or he is asked to care for the fatherless. Today, those we know as orphans have been displaced from their biological families. The early church was known for rescuing orphans and abandoned children.
We are appealing to individual Christians and churches alike to recall what God says in his word about orphans.
James 1:27 (NIV) “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”
Psalm 68:5 (ESV) “Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation.”
Psalm 82:3 (NIV) “Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed.”
You can participate by focusing on the needs of modern day orphans. Ways to get involved include:
7 Ways You Can Participate
- Pick a Sunday in November to highlight Orphan Sunday on social media.
- Share A Door of Hope videos, posts, etc. regarding caring for modern day orphans.
- Ask your church to participate in Orphan Sunday.
- Volunteer your time with A Door of Hope in ways that help foster families.
- Give funds to help place a child (our cost is $500 per child placed).
- Give funds to help license one new foster home (our cost is $3,500 per home).
- Become foster parents by first attending one our orientation classes.
7 Ways A Door of Hope Can Help Your Church Participate
- Pick a Sunday in November to highlight Orphan Sunday in your church.
- Request fliers from us and we will mail them to you.
- Request that a representative from A Door of Hope comes to your church.
- Play our Orphan Sunday video during announcements.
- Raise funds to place one child for $500.
- Raise funds to license one new foster home for $3,500.
- Encourage families to become foster parents.
Orphan Sunday – Not Just a Single Day
The goal of Orphan Sunday is to initiate ongoing interest and support for the cause of modern day orphans. By hosting an Orphan Sunday event or participating yourself, you can become part of the solution for the nearly 1,200 children placed in foster care each year in Tampa Bay.
God’s call for us to care for orphans is constant. We hope and pray you or your church will step through this door of opportunity in one of the ways outlined above.